Thread: Burrell To Sign?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rays Burrell To Sign?

The Rays are close to signing Pat Burrell to a two-year, $16 million contract, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    Quite a bargain for the Rays, who were smart to wait in their search for a DH. Burrell's right-handed bat is pretty much the perfect fit for their lineup. He doesn't have the same upside as Milton Bradley, but at least he can be counted on to stay healthy.
    Burrell turned down the Champions offer to go to the runner up? Rays were thought to be searching for a left handed bat but chose Burrell over guys like Abreu, Giambi and Anderson. Burrell is a very streaky hitter who has 30 HR power and a good OPS. He also strikes out a ton. Burrell as a DH is not a bad option but thought there were better fits out there. Upton, Longoria, Pena, Burrell makes this a deeper offensive team that can compete with the Yankees and Red Sox. Its a decent signing, thought they could do better but it definitely helps replace the 31 HRs lost from Hinske and Floyd leaving. Getting Burrell as cheap as they did leaves room for them to improve the bullpen a tad more since Percival remains a question mark.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Burrell To Sign?

Pending a physical he's there, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

This AL East battle will be very intense, a 95+ win team won't make the playoffs
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That is a straight up bargain. We've had years recently when 4th/5th starters were making 8 million a season at least, but Burrell posted an .875 OPS with about 70 XBH's. His 2008 salary is almost as much as he'll make over the duration of his two year deal with Tampa Bay.

Unreal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Even with Burrell going to the AL, the Mets still can't avoid Burrell. Rays plays the Mets in interleague. Mets just can't catch a break

MLB ERA

The guy has like 40 HR against us as a Philly, the less we play them the better.

PS: If Burrell only gets 8 million per, do you still think Abreu gets 12 million?

AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    That is a straight up bargain. We've had years recently when 4th/5th starters were making 8 million a season at least, but Burrell posted an .875 OPS with about 70 XBH's. His 2008 salary is almost as much as he'll make over the duration of his two year deal with Tampa Bay.

Unreal.
    You hit the nail on the head mission, this was too good of a deal for the Rays to pass up.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post

PS: If Burrell only gets 8 million per, do you still think Abreu gets 12 million?
    Its going to be harder now but he will still get more than Ibanez. Abreu is a better hitter, fielder and runner than Burrell.

MLB ERA

Guess we'll have to wait and see. I just don't know if the market for OF's is going to be conducive to guys like Abreu getting big deals...especially with it being clear that the recession is affecting MLB teams.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Buster Olney is now saying the Rays are the favorites to win the East. I must say, I agree.