Thread: White Sox to deal Rowand to Phillies for Thome

MLB ERA

White Sox White Sox to deal Rowand to Phillies for Thome

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2234843

The Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to trade first baseman Jim Thome to the Chicago White Sox for center fielder Aaron Rowand.

The deal, confirmed by the Phillies, is expected to include major cash considerations due to the size of Thome's contract, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reported. The deal is dependent on players passing physicals.

Thome, 35, is due about $12.5 million in 2006 and $14 million in each of the final two seasons of his six-year contract. The Phillies have a club option for 2009, and he has a no-trade clause.

The four-time All-Star hit .207 with seven homers and 30 RBI in 59 games this year before having season-ending surgery on his right elbow in August. Thome has 430 homers since making his major-league debut in 1991.

Rowand, 28, set career highs in 2004 by hitting .310 with 38 doubles, 24 homers and 69 RBI.

He became eligible for salary arbitration for the first time after making $340,000 in 2004, and signed a new contract with the White Sox in January.

He earned $2 million in 2005 and is expected to receive $3.25 million in 2006. Chicago has a club option for 2007 at $5 million and Rowand holds a player option for 2007 at $3.25 million.
    As a Sox fan, I like the addition of Thome, but I really don't like to see Rowand go. I guess this means Brian Anderson in CF in 2006.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

AAA ERA
    I think it means they have neared a deal for Juan Pierre and Thome will DH or get 1B if Konerko can't be resigned

MLB ERA
    Pierre for Marte? I guess I could live with it. I know Ozzie would love the idea.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA
    Didn't the White Sox just dump an old overpaid injured DH?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    does this mean that perhaps Konerko is going to sign with another team? I guess they could have Thome and Konerko play DH and 1B, but I still don't like this move.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Rowand would certainly wash away the memories of Marlon Byrd and Endy Chavez.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    I dont like this deal from the Sox aspect UNLESS it is immediately proceeded by a deal for either Griffey or Pierre (and even with Pierre you get teh weakest possible arm for the greatest amount of distance anywhere in the field).
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    I think Anderson at least deserves a shot. Some people think he has better defense than Rowand, and he's shown some decent offensive capability throughout his minor league career. To me, that is enough to warrant at least a chance at winning the job.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    This deal is a bunch of shit. Why they did this for Thome makes no sense. Pods is most likely their new CFer and Anderson will go to left. Phillies lucked out big time but the Sox made a bad move IMO. Konerko should have been first priority.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I've been reading that the White Sox want both Thome (DH primarily) and Konerko (1B primarily). I also read that they have no interest in Juan Pierre.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    This deal is a bunch of shit. Why they did this for Thome makes no sense. Pods is most likely their new CFer and Anderson will go to left. Phillies lucked out big time but the Sox made a bad move IMO. Konerko should have been first priority.
    Actually, Anderson will be the starting CF (barring an amazing spring training by Chris Young), with Pods staying in LF. Anderson is actually quicker than Rowand, and is said to have better range and defense. As for resigning Konerko, this deal only makes it more possible. How? Well, the $22 million that the Phillies sent combined with the fact that the Sox no longer have to pay Rowand's contract actually makes it feasible to resign Konerko at less cost than had the Sox kept Rowand and resigned Konerko. Therefore, if Jim Thome produces his 1995-2004 numbers for the Sox, this is another good trade for them.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)