Thread: Where are the rumors?

Where are the rumors?

I keep my ear to grindstone when it comes to the reds off-season moves, and i haven't heard didly. I'm not saying i want DanO to make a trade tomorrow, but he should be shopping people around, getting the buzz going for some of these guys.

Teams should be talking about getting in on the Adam Dunn derby, or the Wily Mo sweepstakes, or whatever other glib term reporters want to use. Get them thinking that other teams are interested.

DanO just doesn't have the presense to be a GM, it's clear.

We need someone who acts like he's sitting on gold with Kearns/Pena/Dunn and Larue/Valentin, and even some of the young relief guys we have if they'd help a deal.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Webster's defines the word cautious with this:

Actually, I think cautious is too nice. Because when you are, usually you have reason to be so (AKA a plan.) Dan O lacks a plan. Instead of going all out to compete or completely re-building the farm, he has essentially half-assed both. I know we spent a lot of money last year but we were spending it all the wrong places. And we have gotten a few prospects outside of the draft. But again, neither side of moves have made significant strides to winning now or in the future.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Where are the rumors?

Well here's one for ya. Saw this on RedsZone.

Re: Will Junior--White Sox deal be revisited.

Posted by NJReds
    "yesterday on ESPN radio in NY, the host was interviewing Jon Heyman, Newsday (who broke the Mets/Delgado story today). Heyman was told by Ken Griffey Sr. that Jr. will be playing for the Yankees in 2006.
    Take it for what it's worth...very little. Although the Yankees did make an offer for Jr. at the deadline."

Right away other posters were salivating at the thought of getting the likes of Cano and Wang. Another guy was mentioned, a guy named Duncan?

Beerry interesting!

Wang would be an awsome pickup for the reds, but there's no way the yankees are looking to deal him, especially not for an aging, injury prone, center fielder.

Duncan was thought of as the yankees best prospect going into this year, but he had a terrible year at AA. He had a great fall league season, but so did chris denorfia, and i wouldn't trade Jr for him either. also, duncan plays 3b, and i think we have our man there for now.

i would imagine that the yankees are interested in griffey because they need a CF, they can afford him, and it would be a splash in the media. a-rod and jr back together and all that. but if the yankees did trade for him, i would imagine that they would be taking his salary and that's pretty much it. the reds might be able to get a pitching prospect for him, but the yankees don't really have any decent prospects from what i know.

If the reds wanted to get a pitcher by trading griffey it would have to be through free agency using the money they owe griffey. If they had talks with Burnett and knew that he wanted to pitch for the reds for some reason, they could trade JR for basically nothing and then use his money to pay Burnett, and maybe even have a little left over. I'd be fine with that, but it's not going to happen. And from everything i know jr wants to stay and try to win in the next few years with the reds.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Whenever Jr and the Yankees are are mentioned one tends to wonder if it's the truth or the NY media star-gazing.

MLB ERA
    The Yankees really don't have the upper-level prospects to trade for Junior. It would have to be a salary dump on the Reds part, and hopefully that's something we won't see when Castellini gets in. Wang really doesn't have great stuff or incredible control, has already shown some arm troubles, and I just don't think he'll be anything more than an average starter for a short period of time before fading away into oblivion. Cano is a bit more intriguing. While he's vastly overrated because he was on the Yankees, I think he would be pretty solid if he was on the Reds. He could probably hit 20-25 homers per year with a .300 average, even though his OBP, defense, and speed would leave a lot to be desired.

That being said, I doubt Junior will go anywhere, especially if new ownership shows that they want to win.

Well, getting Wang.....who is a good young pitcher. A potential all star caliber 2b and the yankees top IF prospect for an aging and expensive OF....is a good deal for the Reds.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I would do this deal simply to get out from under Griffey's contract. Picking up Wang and Cano would be a bonus. This would allow us to keep Dunn, Kearns, and Pena and to have a little more spending money.