Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "Generalissimo" Offensive?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Is "Generalissimo" Offensive?

A generalissimo is a commissioned officer of the highest rank; the word is often translated as "Supreme Commander" or "Commander in Chief". It is a Italian superlative substantive (generalissimo), meaning that it can function either as a noun or as an adjective. When used as a noun, the correct sense is "General of the highest degree" (or commander in chief of the entire armed forces of a specific country); as an adjective, the closest English form is "most general", but the concept is best expressed by the grammatically incorrect expression "most generalest". The term "Generalissimo" in English has come to refer to a kind of ruler who has ascended to that position by a military coup.

Link

The most famous men to called themselves "Generalissimo" during the 20th Century were all torturers, murders and brutal dictators. The ones I am able to think of off the top of my head:

Francisco Franco - Spain

Rafael Truijllo - Dominican Republic

Chiang Kai-shek - China

Kim Il Sung - North Korea

Joseph Stalin -U.S.S.R.

Am I overacting in believing the use of "Generalissimo" as a name by someone in a sports forum is really offensive and in bad taste? For those of you think that I am overreacting would your reaction be the same if someone was using "Fuhrer?" How, if at all, is use of "Generalissimo" any less offensive than use of "Fuhrer?"

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    "Jennifer" is an ugly name.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Actually, I think General, as I refer to him is more offensive than the definition.......
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    Negative connotation is the only reason you find it offensive.

generalissimo: The commander in chief of all the armed forces in certain countries.

führer: A leader, especially one exercising the powers of a tyrant.

It's like if I were to find Jennifer offensive because of a few people named Jennifer who murdered people way back when.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    In other news, the number of marital engagements involving women named Jennifer have decreased by almost 75 percent since the news that runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks faked her own abduction.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Negative connotation is the only reason you find it offensive.

generalissimo: The commander in chief of all the armed forces in certain countries.

führer: A leader, especially one exercising the powers of a tyrant.

It's like if I were to find Jennifer offensive because of a few people named Jennifer who murdered people way back when.
    The term "Generalissimo" in English has come to refer to a kind of ruler who has ascended to that position by a military coup. Perhaps you are right about the negative connotation but your definition of "Fuhrer" is also only a connotation.

Führer (often written Fuehrer or Fuhrer in English when umlauts are not used) is a proper noun meaning "leader" or "guide" in the German language. The IPA transcription of the standard German pronunciation is [ˈfyːʀəɐ], but in English it is usually pronounced . . .

Link

My late parents gave me the name Jennifer after a deceased grandmother. In other words, it was a name given to me not one I chose. "Generalissimo," on the other hand, is a title chosen by a teen to use in a Sports forum. This title is fraught with negative connotations to anyone with even the remotest knowledge of history. The member using it is using it fully aware of what it connotates or using it out of gross ignorance.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    "Jennifer" is an ugly name.
    Precisely the kind of intellectual insight one would expect from someone who lists as his only interests: "Hating the Red Sox. Hating the Yankees. Hating Kobe Bryant. Hating Vince Carter. Hating the Raptors."

Still I am certain that everyone has been enriched by your opinion of my first name.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    In other news, the number of marital engagements involving women named Jennifer have decreased by almost 75 percent since the news that runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks faked her own abduction.
    Actually, now that she is back with her fiance and has gotten big bucks for her story and the television rights from Judith Regan's publishing company men are desparate to find women named "Jennifer" to marry. It used to be guys wanted to know if a gal appearing to be a blonde was really a blonde. Now they want to know if a gal calling herself Jennifer" really is named "Jennufer."

MLB ERA
    I don't like you. First, you are down with Steak. Second, you diss my homey General? You just moved down a notch in my book.

It is not like the name is "Nazi" "White Supremeist" or anything that is openly hateful.

I don't feel that you can think of a "title" just in the negative sense. As mentioned, the Jennifer let alone a name like Robert or Matt or Larry can associated with some serial killer, mass murderer or negative.

What about Boss? That can be associated with Mob or Mafia Boss, maybe a jerk Boss at your work or the affectionate term that Yankee Fans have for Mr. Steinbrenner.

A generalissimo is a commissioned officer of the highest rank; the word is often translated as "Supreme Commander" or "Commander in Chief".

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Actually, now that she is back with her fiance and has gotten big bucks for her story and the television rights from Judith Regan's publishing company men are desparate to find women named "Jennifer" to marry. It used to be guys wanted to know if a gal appearing to be a blonde was really a blonde. Now they want to know if a gal calling herself Jennifer" really is named "Jennufer."
    Since google-eyed Jennifer is bringing in half a million dollars, you have to assume that her fiance will keep her much closer to himself this time.

AA ERA
    Jennifer: I have no clue where you are getting at and what inspired you to do this thread, but I don't find the name offensive. While you may make a point, judge by someone's character at least. General has been nothing but a great poster and a great person in the time that I have known him here. He is one of the best posters here and I can tell you lot of people like him here. A lot of people are not offended so I have no idea why you are offended by his name.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Since google-eyed Jennifer is bringing in half a million dollars, you have to assume that her fiance will keep her much closer to himself this time.
    Google-eyed doesn't quite emphasize what this chick has going on with those eyes......YIKES.....

Here is an animated version........
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

AA ERA
    Jennifer Wilbanks is hot. Too bad she is a nut.

I gotta give props to her fiance for standing by her. He could have ran off, but at least he is supporting her and he is trying to make a work. That shows what a great character he is.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Jennifer: I have no clue where you are getting at and what inspired you to do this thread, but I don't find the name offensive. While you may make a point, judge by someone's character at least. General has been nothing but a great poster and a great person in the time that I have known him here. He is one of the best posters here and I can tell you lot of people like him here. A lot of people are not offended so I have no idea why you are offended by his name.
    So if someone used the name "Adolf Hitler" that would be okay with you if he was a good fella? And note I have not said a word regarding his character. Also my opening post asked everyone whether I was overreacting which should at least imply that I was open to being persuaded that I was wrong.

And I guess I was wrong about how you feel about me since you ignored the post saying, "you are down with Steak."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast