Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds are competing for Dominican superstud prospect Inoa

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Prospect Reds are competing for Dominican superstud prospect Inoa

This kid is hugely impressive. Already 6'7 and hitting 97 mph, which has labeled him from some scouts as a once a decade type of prospect. Getting both him and Duran (who signed earlier this year) would not only be a big boost to replenish the farm's talent now that we've seen several top prospects called up but it also would help to reestablish the Reds as one of the top teams of influence with south of Florida scouting. Once upon a time, the Reds did have the best scouting program for the countries down there and it would be great to see them reestablish a recognized position down there.

Inoa might not pan out of course, but risking the cash to take the gamble would sure beat paying guys like Stanton, Castro and Cormier (etc) to stay at home, or paying Fogg to flat out stink.

Source: Rangers, Reds jump into bidding war for Dominican Inoa, 16

By Enrique Rojas
    ESPNdeportes.com
    (Archive)

Updated: June 23, 2008, 5:27 PM ET

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds have joined the Oakland Athletics in a bidding feud for the services of Dominican pitching prospect Michael Inoa, the crown jewel of the pool of Latin American players who will be available to be signed July 2, a source has told ESPNdeportes.com.

"Oakland has led the pack of teams interested in Inoa, but both Cincinnati and Texas have surged in the past few days, and it is now a three-horse race of big favorites to grab this kid," the source said.

"Some teams have offered him a major league contract in order to make the offer even more attractive, but Inoa's team is not interested in that. The battle may be fought until the last minutes," the source added.

July 2 marks the beginning of the eligibility period for players who turn 17 years old after Sept. 6, though they won't be able to play until next year. Players 17 or older may sign anytime.

Inoa, 16, at 6 feet 7 and 210 pounds, is a right-hander with a repertoire consisting of a 93-mph fastball, a changeup and a curveball.

The young prospect has been evaluated by every major league organization. General manager Billy Beane and a group of Oakland executives even traveled to Dominican Republic to evaluate Inoa.

According to data obtained by ESPNdeportes.com, at least seven teams were ready to give Inoa a bonus of more than $3 million, but many of them, including the New York Yankees, pulled out of the race as the price for the young ace went up.
    ESPN - Source: Rangers, Reds jump into bidding war for Dominican Inoa, 16 - MLB

Re: Reds are competing for Dominican superstud prospect Inoa

Send down Soto to get the job done.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

The Yankees backed out because the price went up?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Maybe Hanky Panky only likes going after old washed, I mean established, guys and they are going to get away from guys not proven in some sort of pro ball?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

One thing that teams might want to be leary about is the fact that this kid is 16 and he's throwing in the mid-90's. He's not going to get much bigger body wise...6-7 210 is BIG for a kid, so suppose he only gets stronger. I would be a little leary about the amount of pressure he's putting on his elbow and shoulder...really stretching out tendons that are still growing. It could end up being a Francisco Liriano situation for one of these teams. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but they might want to be a little careful.

My .02
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Agreed henks, that was all I could think about while reading this. But at the same time, this is a very intriguing thought. Inoa and Duran would completely retool our system. The biggest part of this is our learning that Jocketty has guys in place to at least have some knowledge of kids in the dominican area. Sweet!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, it would help you guys out...but man to invest in a 16 or 17 yr old kid who's still growing? It seems like a high risk/high reward type of maneuver. I guess it all depends on if your management is willing to take that risk.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Maybe Hanky Panky only likes going after old washed, I mean established, guys and they are going to get away from guys not proven in some sort of pro ball?
    Santana's not old.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Surprised?

I'm not.

Odds are this kid will be a bust anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Right.

We don't have one of the best systems in the league.

Oh well, at least our team makes the playoffs every year.

I guess I can take solace in that.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Don't play that game Dry. You know that at 3 mil or 4 mil, whatever, if the Yankees were leading you would be all down for it. Sure it's a risk, but to get a guy with his potential like that is well worth the risk. And unlike a draft, there is no competing with him possibly wanting to go to school/back to school, he wants to sign and when he picks a team he will do so.

If the money tight A's are interested, with Beane and his knowledge of pitchers, that should tell you quite a bit about how good his potential is.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

and that should tell you how serious Beane is...I'll be shocked if he lets him get away and Big Lew is willing to spend the money.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Don't play that game Dry. You know that at 3 mil or 4 mil, whatever, if the Yankees were leading you would be all down for it. Sure it's a risk, but to get a guy with his potential like that is well worth the risk. And unlike a draft, there is no competing with him possibly wanting to go to school/back to school, he wants to sign and when he picks a team he will do so.

If the money tight A's are interested, with Beane and his knowledge of pitchers, that should tell you quite a bit about how good his potential is.
    I'm truly upset we aren't in the race.

But I take offense to the archaic belief that the Yankees pursue crappy veterans with their money instead of young prospects.

Aren't we the team that drafts clients who demand ridiculous bonuses because they have the highest ceilings?

I'm just saying that Slyder's post was stupid.

Also, I believe that Beane is just floating numbers out there to eliminate competitors. I really and truly feel that the Rangers will end up paying out the nose for Inoa because they have not ever had good starters

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Beane isn't one the floating the numbers out there from what I've read. It's been the writers of the articles or scouts that have been speculating that.

I just know that Beane himself has gone down there twice in the last month alone along with top evaluators from the A's system. They are very serious and I'll be surprised if Inoa doesn't sign with the A's. This isn't like Beane trying to drive up the trade market for a player, he's going after a guy because he wants him. Time will tell I suppose as Inoa can't sign with anyone until 7/2 at the earliest.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The Rangers have good guys in the wings though like Hurley, Feliz, and Main. But yeah Ican see that they are in a bigger need than the other two listed teams.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    Yeah, it would help you guys out...but man to invest in a 16 or 17 yr old kid who's still growing? It seems like a high risk/high reward type of maneuver. I guess it all depends on if your management is willing to take that risk.
    Seattle invested in Felix when he was 16. And its turned out good for the most part. You just have to be extremely careful with his pitch counts.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast