Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Bailey?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Prospect What to do with Bailey?

We all see it, his stuff and his makeup is not MLB quality at this point. If I were in charge of player development, I would go to Jocketty and advise to give Bailey 1-3 more additional starts (likely 2-3.) Why do this? If Bailey struggles in those starts and the Reds send him down, he should feel like he had a fair shake at things and didn't prove his worth yet. I am not saying he will be happy or not have a problem with it, but I think demoting him after last night's game will cause yet another complaint.

Anyway, after giving him his shot, demote him and keep him down in the minors for the rest of the year, no exceptions. Tell him that the Reds want him to be a critical part to the 2009 rotation and to dominate he needs to work on key areas to prove to them that he'll be ready. Bring in one of the old Reds who knew how to throw off-speed and can coach (ie a Soto or Browning) to travel with AAA to specifically work with Homer as a mentor to develop his secondary pitches, his movement, location, etc. I know Bailey has had difficulty supposedly being coached (often that is denied by the coach) but perhaps having someone with a proven MLB record who would take the time to work with him and him alone would be acceptable to him and he would be receptive. Bailey was able to pitch this way in the minors and get away with it but it is obvious he has skipped a crucial part of his development and it is clear to see that he is not ready for this level, but that is what happens when you hurry (not rush in this case) prospects through the levels.

We all tend to forget that Bailey is young and many pitchers do not make their debut until 23, 24, 25. However, if he cannot refine his mechanics and harness his talent, he will simply never be a success. About the only difference between him now and when I saw him in A with Dayton is that he has cut down his stride to improve control and has therefore lost velocity.

Guaranteeing his success would be bold and frankly I am not for sure but it is clear that a change needs to be made and a special course of development action to salvage him.

Re: What to do with Bailey?

Agreed I would give him a few more starts, at least one. I didn't think he was to far off, but after he gave up the home run to Pujols(which shouldn't have happened) he just fell apart. He sadly is living up to his head case accusations, and I fear that is going to keep him from ever being as good as he could be.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

AAA ERA

right now... its clear that something is wrong and he doesn't know what it is.. watching him last night it's clear he has changed his delivery since last year.. he looked like he was throwing batting practice balls last night.. to me i think he is now trying to control the ball more in order to throw more strikes.. which is what he was told to work on.. i agree I think someone needs to work with him.. but if its me.. i chalk him up for a lost cause and hope someone is stupid enough to give up something for him.. because honestly I would not be suprised at all if he never matures into what he was suposed to.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    but if its me.. i chalk him up for a lost cause and hope someone is stupid enough to give up something for him.. because honestly I would not be suprised at all if he never matures into what he was suposed to.
    I agree, Hes not close to ready for MLB ball. I dont think hell ever be much more than a 4 or 5 man in the rotation. Hes full of potential but, im not sure if hell ever live up to it. Fans in Cincinnati also dont understand hes a bit too immature. They all want to see him in the majors with the mentality that Cueto can do it why cant Homer.

Official Strike 3 Forums NIT Champion 2008

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I really think they need to stop tweaking his mechanics. If he wants throw 94-96 and have trouble locating, let him, figure out how to adapt him to be an optimal Bailey (ie, hard throwing but with better control and movement) instead of changing Bailey into a different pitcher.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Like a Zambrano? Dude throws hard and lacks control at times. He is also a head case. I liken these two to being the same type of pitcher. No doubt, Zambrano may have the better stuff and hopefully Bailey can refine those secondary pitches and become Zambrano-esque.

Is that asking too much of a guy that hasn't shown the ability to pitch in the big leagues?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Closer!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't know how much that would mess with him, but trying him at AAA as a closer might not be a bad idea. It would force Bailey to try work for an out pitch more you would hope as he desparately needs one.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Closer!
    Homer Rules
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I don't know how much that would mess with him, but trying him at AAA as a closer might not be a bad idea. It would force Bailey to try work for an out pitch more you would hope as he desparately needs one.
    It's probably too soon to make that switch. But it's not the first time a hyped prospect starting pitcher couldn't get over the hump, whether he never had the endurance or lacked the pitchers, and made the move to reliever/closer. Scott Williamson and Danny Graves did that about a dozen times.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't want him making that switch permanently, but just for the experience of it... at least for now. Let him face high pressure situations with the game on the line, develop an out pitch he can throw for a strike and hopefully he would be better prepared for the MLB experience next time around.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pressure situations.
    Let's say in about a month, have him pitch in the ninth against Albert Pujols. Let's see if he either passes, fails, or suffers a Brad Lidge psychological meltdown for about 2 seasons.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Today's start didn't help matters much.
    But Affeldt was not good either.

Zero run support off Beckett today.
    Ted

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Pressure situations.
    Let's say in about a month, have him pitch in the ninth against Albert Pujols. Let's see if he either passes, fails, or suffers a Brad Lidge psychological meltdown for about 2 seasons.
    he can't have a Brad Lidge meltdown because he hasn't proven anything yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think the question that should be asked is what to do with Dick Pole and Ted Power. I am interested to see how messed up Thompson may get. Perhaps I can't blame Power too much as Bailey was fine before his callup. I believe that Pole saw something he didn't like in Bailey's debut and tried to make adjustments from that point on. He hasn't been the same pitcher since that day. No wonder he is frustrated.

Dude has lost significant velocity on his fastball and still isn't producing any movement. He still has a tough time with his command as well. I credit all of this to Dick Pole. Look at Cueto. His first couple of starts were amazing. Then he fell off. His command is nowhere near what he had his entire minor league career.

This organization is going to have to start asking the question. What is the common factor in these two young studs? Dick Pole. Leo Mazzone anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast